Friday, January 31, 2014

Do You Take Pictures in Stores? (Art Licensing Research)

 


 

I LOVE visual reminders!

I wanted to bring up this topic that I ran into on social media somewhere. Ever since I joined the smart phone crowd last summer, I started snapping pics of things I see while out shopping. The above roosters are just to remind me I need to do some sort of rooster/chick collection. In the paintings above, I liked the complimentary colors used (blue and orange).

The other cool thing that happens is when I look at the photos months later - something completely different about the photo might inspire me!

I feel a bit "criminal" taking the photos! Not sure why. All they do is sit in my phone (until now!). I think it is because it isn't my store and I don't ask permission to take photos… That being said. I have been caught several times taking pictures and no one has minded in the least.

I am hoping to get a lawyers opinion as well as artists and agents. I know there are many others of you out there who do this too! So now that I have come out of the closet, do you like this sort of visual reminder for yourself?

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

9 comments:

  1. I was so tempted to do so yesterday while browsing wedding cards in a local drugstore. I was trying to figure out how non-traditional I could go in terms of colors and I wanted to snap photos of a couple of hallmark cards that fit what I was thinking about. I didn't dare.
    I work in a gallery and I _do_ take photos of work that inspires me. Not to copy but mostly to remind myself how something was done. But you're right, I do feel guilty about even thinking about doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lin Collette! Last year when I was in New York and at the Metropolitan Art Museum - I was floored that people took photos of famous paintings with their cell phones... we then looked around for signs saying no photography, but didn't happen to see one. Some how I think a retail store is a bit different. I could be wrong.

      Thanks a bunch for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. There's the copyright aspect - YOU know you aren't capturing the image with any intent to infringe - but others don't know your intentions. The other problem (the one I personally encountered) is Competitive Espionage ... My daughter was job shadowing in a local grocery store and I was taking photos for her and to potentially use in a blog post about her experience. I was approached by an overzealous employee of the store who very curtly asked me what my purpose was with the photos. She literally assumed I was spying for a competitive store (first I'd ever heard of espionage in the grocery industry, but there you go).

    I haven't taken pictures in stores for the purposes of visual reminders of subjects to draw but I have saved images on the computer for awesome general color combinations - i.e. interior design themes that generate a certain mood or feeling that are based on color combinations that I want to utilize in my future works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kim :-) Great to "see" you! Thanks for sharing your experience. I have taken photos of fruit in grocery stores with no problem. I will definitely get permission first!

      Delete
  3. I've never tried taking pictures in stores but I may try it. I once visited a vintage/shabby chic style store in Virginia that displayed a big sign at the door entrance - No Cameras/Pictures Allowed. I guess it depends on the store owner policy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am a bit nervous about taking the pictures. From what I am getting from other people's experiences here and on social media, I am going to check with the store clerk first :-)

      Thanks for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate your input :-)

      Delete
  4. I take photos in our local stores for my blog when I'm writing about what's trending. I usually ask and so far the shopkeepers have been delighted and really interested in what I'm doing. The only person who has ever refused was a market stallholder who had a wonderful display of Poppy red fashion items and he became quite aggressive, worried that somehow 'the competition' would copy his ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! Would you mind posting a link to your blog here so people can find it? - thanks for stopping by and sharing your experience :-)

      Delete
    2. I found it! Here is a link to Judy's Blog! http://judyadamsonartanddesign.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...