Friday, April 18, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Danny Phillips

Be sure to check out BOTH of Danny's websites - links below

 

Tell us a bit about yourself: Did you go to school for art? Are you self taught?
I am a self-taught artist. I graduated college with a Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. After college, I  traveled around doing comedy improve, believe it or not. Then a few years later while living in Houston, I was overtaken by the Cy Twombly exhibit at the Menil Museum. I decided I wanted to do art right then. I took a couple of intro classes, but mostly I played around like all artists and did mostly abstract expressionism. It wasn’t until about 10 years later that I found my style. I had started a faux-finishing company and that really influenced my style. I was around reclaimed wood and textures all the time.

What inspires you / where do you get inspiration from?
Anything that feels like vacation inspires me. Salt water definitely. Bright vibrant colors inspire me. Usually, I am on vacation and see something and it looks like an amazing moment that needs to be captured. I usually photograph it and then make it into a painting later. Or a lot of my ideas have come from friends who snap these shots.

Do you work in just one medium? Several?
I work only in mixed media in my personal art. With my company, I’ve worked with everything, which has come in handy. My favorite materials are recycled magazines and reclaimed wood. Those are my go-to’s. I try to use them in everything.

What are you working on now?
Right now I’m working mostly on commissions. I’m backed up with them. They are hard and take longer because you aren’t just creating something in your own mind, but trying to incorporate someone else's vision too. Of course, I’m always playing reggae music and doing my VW and beach scenes. These are where I’m in the zone as an artist. I let everything go and just feel good. I am in the middle of an ongoing series called “Good Vibes” that incorporates positive words into my pieces as well.

Anything else you want to tell everyone?

My art has become what I call “saturated memories.” When we make a memory, we recall it differently. Our minds take that experience and add to it. It over emphasizes the senses. Our expressions and passions towards those memories are what I’m trying to present as an artist. The sunsets in our memories are more glorious. The connection to our significant other is more romantic.  My paintings hopefully transport people to those saturated memories.

Are you an early riser? or night owl?
I’m a very early riser. When an idea comes to my mind, Bam, I wake up and can’t turn off my thoughts. I usually brew my favorite coffee and try to listen to the sounds of the day before I get going. I love working early in the morning because I feel like it’s just me and the universe.
    
What is your favorite food?

Lobsta. Pizza. Chicken Wings. And lots of lots of Coffee- all the time. And the occasional whiskey to combat my bad days.

You can find Danny: http://dannyphillipsart.weebly.com      www.inyourspaceart.com
 Agent: www.paintedplanetlicensing.com



Do you want to be spotlighted? Send me an email: anntroe@cox.net
THANKS for stopping by - make my day and follow this blog :-D

6 comments:

  1. Annie, thanks for the great interview with Danny. You can also find Danny's artwork on our website: www.paintedplanetlicensing.com

    Jan Draheim
    Painted Planet Licensing Group

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jan! THANKS for stopping by Danny's Spotlight :-) I added Painted Planet Licensing Group website/link to his other contact info. HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY! :-D

      Delete
  2. Annie, awesome interview, thank you so much! And good god Danny, I am utterly blown away by the faux finishes on your site - especially the Old World plaster styles, the iridescents, and the scrollwork. They are truly exceptional, and transporting. Oh how I wish to live in such spaces! Love the VW images too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah! Thanks for the blog love :-) I really enjoyed getting to know Danny a bit better too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie, another fantastic interview, I just love the work by Danny! I enjoy the wonderful light and breezy summer feel; it reminds me of my beloved Australia actually...sigh...I do still love England though. Thanks Danny for allowing me to take a moment to recall my 'Saturated Memories' as you call it. What a brilliant name! Great work, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy!! Danny is very talented and great with words too! Thanks so much for stopping by :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...