Friday, April 10, 2015

Artist Spotlight - Karen Thrasher



Tell us a bit about yourself: Did you go to school for art? Are you self taught?
I actually went to architecture school at the University of Kansas; I've practiced commercial architecture for over 15 years. 

My artistic endeavors which have kept me sane all these years have been self taught explorations.

Do you work in just one medium? Several?

Ever since I was young, my first love was working with pencil and charcoals.  Since architecture school, I find myself exploring more with pen and markers.  Then recently I find myself drawn to the digital format, crafting pieces which fit more in graphic the design and the typography arts. 

What inspires you / where do you get inspiration from?

This is a tough question--what doesn't inspire me?  I guess I would point to the colors of the seasons and nature as well as the textiles I seek out or come across.  Its funny, my mother was a seamstress when I was growing up.  I couldn't tell you how I much hated it when she would drag my sisters and I into a fabric store!  Of course when you're young, those trips seemed to last hours and hours.  Now, I do the same thing to my own son just to browse through the fantastic patterns, colors and styles.

What are you working on now?

I've been concentrating my efforts on filling out my own greeting card line:  Doodle Therapy.  It's most definitely been a learning process.  I started just under a year ago as an effort to reconnect with my artistic roots after becoming burned out with architecture...hence the name Doodle Therapy.  In doing such, I've begun to hone in my 'style' and explore various mediums. 

Anything else you would like to share with us?

I'm grateful for having artwork in my life and the means or ability to push myself to share it with others.  At the beginning of this year, I left the architectural firm I had been with for over nine years in order to work for myself and explore other opportunities outside of the architecture world (i.e. art and illustration).  I've never felt more alive and more like myself!  So fulfilling!  But part of the process has been to learn to let go of the fear of sharing my art.  Not having the formal training others do, I often feared being called out by others.  It's been an incredible experience to summons the courage to reach out to local shops and other vendors in order to get my artwork out there.

Are you an early riser? or night owl?
I am definitely an early riser.  In fact, if I find I'm most productive before 4pm.  After that, I just seem to hit a wall and things go a bit haywire!

What is your favorite food?

I'd love to say something fancy like sushi, which I do love, but the truth is I'd settle for cheese. In any form.  On just about anything.  Cheese makes me happy.




You can find Karen:
www.doodle-therapy.com
karen@thrasherworks.com
Facebook: DoodleTherapy
Instagram: @doodle.therapy
Etsy: DoodleTherapy

THANK YOU for stopping by my blog!
Do you want to be spotlighted? Send me an email: anntroe@cox.net
Make my day and follow this blog :-D Don't want to miss the good stuff? Sign up for my newsletter ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...