Friday, September 5, 2014

Artist Spotlight - Shelley Brant / Figgy Pudding Designs

Click images to view larger.


Tell us a bit about yourself: Did you go to school for art? Are you self taught?
I wasn't one of those kids that grew up drawing much at all.  It didn't occur to me that it might be something I would do for a living or even go to school to learn.  I had my sights set on being a veterinarian, a truck driver like in smokey & the bandit or a professional roller skater.  When I went to college, I took two years of general education classes until I was forced to choose a major.  I picked art and figured I could change it when I knew what I really wanted to do.  The next two years went by pretty quick and I ended up with a BA in graphic design with a fine art emphasis from The University of Northern Iowa and it's turned out pretty great so far.

What inspires you / where do you get inspiration from?
I don't consciously seek out inspiration.  I think I'm sucking in visual inspiration every minute I'm awake.  It comes from everywhere, tv commercials, the internet, nature, fabric patterns, cartoons, graffiti, store windows...everywhere.  That's what I find cool about art- people take in mostly the same imagery and spit out totally different interpretations.  

Do you work in just one medium? Several?
I work digitally, in illustrator, for my job.  I paint for fun.  I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to paint more for my job.  That's the secret to career success- figuring out how to get paid to do what you'd do if you weren't getting paid, right?  I  am also pretty darn crafty.  I love cutting,  gluing and glittering.

What are you working on now?
I make art and manage the daily workings of Figgy Pudding Designs.  I represent three artists besides myself.  I sell or license those designs for use in the craft, paper and seasonal markets.  I also work full time for a factory that manufactures products for the craft and hobby industry.  I do a lot of product development,  trend research and art direction in that position.

Are you an early riser? or night owl?
I think I'm biologically a night owl, but my husband gets up at the crack of dawn, so I've become a morning person...whether I like it or not.  Turns out I can really barrel through some work in the morning, so it's all good.

What is your favorite food?
I could probably eat taco salad every day.  It's the perfect meal- it has everything you need right there.  I love a good "walking taco" (taco salad in a Doritos bag) for those of you that didn't grow up in Iowa.  I also love all things German, like schnitzel and spaetzle with sauerkraut- Köstlich!



You can find Shelley:

figgypuddingdesign@yahoo.com

www.figgypuddingblog.blogspot.com


THANK YOU for stopping by my blog!
Do you want to be spotlighted? Send me an email: anntroe@cox.net
Make my day and follow this blog :-D

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...